Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sometimes Mother Nature says, "Stay home!"

Up at 3:00 a.m.

Sigh..... was putting my son to bed on Wednesday night and I had to dead lift him out of our bed and take him to his room. That night I could not sleep. I kept dreaming that something had kicked me in the ribs. Turns out that when I lifted him I put some serious stress on one of my intercostal muscles. As my physiotherapist put it.... when you go out to a restaurant and order a full rack of ribs... your eating intercostal muscles....... num num. Anyhoo... I have not been sleeping well as it is extremely uncomfortable..... so up at 3:00 a.m.

I had to get up early anyway, as today was the St. Malo Triathlon. This event is entirely run by members of our triathlon team - Tribalistic - and is celebrating it's 15th year. Check out the site at St-Malo Triathlon The course is so beautiful, I can easily see why this race has been around for as long as it has.

So I had to be out early as I was part of the swim team. I was to assist Pat and Jeff with the set-up of the course. Afterwards, I was in a canoe, paddling a lifeguard back and forth down one leg of the swim course for the Olympic (2 laps of the 750 m course) and the sprint (1 lap). I love canoeing and it had been a long time since I had the chance, so I was thankful to have the opportunity.

So I had to leave the house by 5:15 to get there by 6:15. Like I said... I had to be up anyway.

I had never been down the St. Malo way before, so I was really surprised, like I always am, how beautiful the rest of the province is. The drive down Hwy 59 was really relaxed as there was next to no traffic at 5 ish. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a perfect day for a race.

Fellow club member Chris Graham won the men's Olympic distance and fellow blogger Carly and I had the honour of being the "eye candy" that handed out the prizes to the top three age group atheletes in the sprint, olympic, relay and the duathlon categories. A shout out to Mike who did an excellent job personalizing the race for each entrant... basically on the mic telling everyone a little something about each athlete as the came through transition.

On a side note.... I thought it was pretty cool that we had over 40 athletes today that come out to St. Malo for their very first triathlon experience. Welcome to the sport newbies. I warn you now.... it is highly addicting. If you see me at a race, come say hi!....... not that you'd be reading this anyway... aw.... who am I fooling..........not that anyone is reading this......

For giggles, here's getting the canoes out and a "selfie" of me looking over my shoulder toward the beach.

After the race was done, I headed home with the intent of heading out on my bike for my last ride before packing up my bike for the big trip to training camp in Kelowna on Wednesday. As I approached the city the clouds got darker and darker until I was on the Wilkes overpass and the sky was absolutely black.

Some days, Mother nature says it's time to stay in.

No comments:

Post a Comment