Thursday, January 24, 2013

Nothin' but 11's


So there I am at 6:20 staring my day in the pool, yet again.  As always, I did not do much of a warm up, I just stretched out the shoulders after throwing myself into the pool  (firsties).    I always start nice and relaxed and I was pleasantly surprised to reach the other end of the pool in 11 strokes.

A bit of a back story is to say that I tend to swim at the "y" purely for convenient sakes.  I am only a few blocks form work and I can drag myself out of there and be in my office in 15 minutes.  It is rarely busy (now that all the new years resolutionists have left) and I am always in a lane by myself.  The downside is that the pool is 19 m long and not the regular 25.  Consequently when I talk about strokes, some of you might raise an eyebrow.

So back to the back story is to say that in 2006, I decided to start swimming again as a way to get in shape.  At that time I hopped into the pool at the "y" - a former lifeguard and self proclaimed "jock" and I was not able to swim more than one length without feeling like my lungs were going to burst. I would do one length breast and free back.

At that time and for about a year after, as I slowly built up my fitness and began to go more than one or two lengths, I was consistently at 17 strokes per length.  I can remember some time in 2007/8 cleaning that up to 15 and sitting there for the longest time.  After that, with my arrival in the triathlon scene, I am not certain of the transition, but I have been sitting at 13 for ever and ever.

Well, as you can read by the title, today was all 11's.  Neat.  I mean it is not surprise to be fast in your first few laps, but to constantly hold that for 30 min or somewhere between 1500-1800m is pretty cool. Maybe it was the new goggle I got for christmas...


TYR - Special ops polarized and mirrored red... tres chic, no?


No comments:

Post a Comment