Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Just Maintenance

Day two of swimming and it was a little bit busier with all the kiddies on break.  A few people have figured out our secret time and have come to join us.  The lady at the desk let us in; however, we had to wait to go on deck until 2:30 when a third lifeguard came on.

My time in the pool was ouchy. My shoulders and the like were still twitchy and achy from yesterday's TT and I was sure it would slow me down.  But then again.... who cares?  Its not like these times really mean that much and the bigger issue is that I am getting healthy and putting my self  firmly back on the road to full recovery and heading towards completing 1/2 Challenge in August.  Thus, in the wee small hours of the season, it is far more important that I just be consistent and swim... in fact some of my best work outs have been when I do not feel like going at all.


In the end, I was pleased with my day two times and will continue down this avenue as the speed work seems to be doing just that..... working.

The second half of my swim was the fun stuff.  Peaches and Short Pants are signed up for their Bronze Medallion starting in Jannuary and one of the requirements is the timed swim.  Now both of them were getting a little worried about this one, and try as I might to tell them that they will be fine, they both were still uncertain.  So.... I convinced them to come into my lane and give it a go.  Ready or not, they understaood that it was a good idea to get a base-line and we could go from there.  

I paced them out really easy to start as I was still tired from my set and I wanted them to understand that going fast out of the gate was not going to get them anywhere. Nothing like gasping on the lane rope, completely out of breath watching everyone pass you.  The timed swim is 500m in 15:00.  Like I said, that can seem a bit daunting, but they both did very well and were easily under the time.  Short Pants came in at: 10:45 - 2:09/100m, and Peaches came in with a handy 2:30 to spare at 12:26 - 2:29/100m.  Nothing to worry about... just maintenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment