Monday, February 17, 2014

Multi-sport Monday

Today is a day off in Manitoba.  Family day... so how else should you spend it, but with family.  After some mucking about with the snowblower - 4 inches of snow fell last night and our street was plowed so that there were a few berms to contend with, we made our way to Woodhaven Community Club.



Woodhaven has always been our favourite place to skate and toboggan since its secrets were first revealed to us by a former Woodhaven Elementary School alum. Two beautiful sheets of ice and no one around to use them until about 2:00 p.m. when the teens make their way from their saturday night  slumber.  These rinks are regularly flooded and maintained.  Not to mention the wonderful toboggan hill just out back.




Here are the Rules from 1959 that are still posted on the wall.  I like no smoking underage, which in '59 was probably 15.... and lastly... no disrespectful conduct by children to wards adults.  I think I should post that at work.

With the fresh snow, the rink was being plowed when we arrived, so over to the hill.  Lots of action there with the snow covering my face with each decent.  The sun was out and the sky was a beautiful Manitoba blue and there was loads of racing action. Longest route went to yours truly with longest running start and speediest descent going to girl of steel  - what determination.


Then we made our way over to the rink and donned out skates.  I am really proud of my skates.  My Bauer's were bought for my when I was 17 and I have kept them ever since.  Cool, eh?  Tri-boy had on a pair of borrowed skated with a carbon fibre sole worth over $500.00 and I think we paid $70 for mine at Canadian Tire in 1987.  Either way, we had a blast and enjoyed the hot chocolate and granola bars that mommy packed.

Last, when we got home it was time to remove the ridges out of the drive.  With the temp as war as we've seen since October, we got the scraper out and took the drive down to the cement.  Now the garage door will close properly and the snowblower will find purchase without clearing just the peaks from the tire tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment