Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Testing the Waters

After being in battle mode for several weeks now, I decided to test the waters - literally and figuratively by adding the world of triathlon back into my life.

 On Tuesday, Tri-boy and I made our way in the wee hours down to the pool and took a lane and did some laps.
While I focused on 30 minutes of easy front crawl, tri-boy focused on being the dolphin that he really is at heart. As I would come to the wall, he would push-off upside down with his nose plugged and swim under me or, as I came by, he would make face or tickle my belly.  Very cool and very fun.  The 30 minutes went by and although I was taking it easy, there was this guy in the lane beside me doing his thing, and even with flippers on, I was faster.  I kept telling myself to go slow, but even at my slowest, I was lapping him.... got to be honest... that felt good.  At the very lease, my aerobic capacity has not diminished even if my lung capacity has.


Today, it was time to set the new shoes in motion.  Stopped by Woodcock Cycle on Sunday and picked up the special ordered Specialized road experts that I had them bring in not because I am all that and a bag of chips, it is more because I am fussy about my shoe size and ended up with a 44.5 - which is not your standard size.

Anyhoo, when paired up with the Kéo anti slip cleat they cut a formidable silhouette.

Tri-Girl and I made our way to the PAn-Am for the workout and I had a goal of just getting there and seeing what would happen.  We start with a HR recovery set, and coach always says that it is a good indicator of where you might be with regards to your health.  6 minutes at 60% f your max HR , then 6 minutes at 80% of max HR and then 3 minute sof 90% of max HR then you take that number at the end of three minutes and then number you get after resting for 90 sec.  Minus the smaller from the larger and you get your "recovery HR." mine is usually 57 BPM and tonight,  it was 50, so I am a little out.


I am not surprised really.  For the first little bit, it was all I could to to get the legs turning at 90 rpm.  I got there eventually and after the HR set, i just spun and kept them going for and hour.

I looked like shit.  Really...

I am not joking.... I was cooked by the end, but happy with my data.  See below.

We will see what Saturday brings  In the meantime, I plan to do and easy 5k on Friday on the treadmill and see where I stand before I even attempt Sat.
















No comments:

Post a Comment