Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Blueberry bagel and a bowl of instant oatmeal


Up before the sun made its way over the mountains in the west. I took this shot on the way to the hot tub with coffee in hand. I find it helps to start the day with a little heat on the legs and some caffeine pumping through your system. After a breakfast of my two favourite treats as of late.... Blueberry Bagel and a bowl of instant cereal (oatmeal) I got the Giant all saddled up for the day's event.

Today we are off to do some climbing. This route is identical to the one I rode on my birthday, except without the candles and the flames. I left the house at about 6:30 and made my way past the sad shy horses (thanks sting) on the indian reservation who obviously knew that it is a lot colder out that you think there Tri-Guy. As I made my way through the twists and turns of Green Mountain road as it meanders its way alongside of this fresh mountain stream, I was reminded quite quickly that unlike the prairies, the sun does not cover the whole of this mountainous province at once. Yes, it rises in the East, but only shares its love and warmth with the tippy-iest of tops of mountains when it does so. When it reaches the valley floor, if at all, it is literally at the apex of its arc across the sky. Consequently, as I rode through the valleys I was froze the Giant and swept along through some wicked descents in the dark as my pupils had a hard time going form fully dilated to the size of a pin head and back again in seconds.


You can see the sun in the distance, but the temperature difference has to be at least 10˚C (or more) as you come into the sun. As you are descending, or climbing for that matter, you go through these pockets of ultra cool and hot air..... needless to say it is quite an interesting sensation to be gasping for air as you do you best to climb up the rise as your heart tries to beat its way out of your chest and, at the same time, you are wishing for a forrest fire and a parka to get some life back into your frozen arms, legs and fingers.


As the sun makes its way into the darkness and you wind your way out of some of the steeper sections, the view is breathtaking. I have nick named this mountain - Tombstone, as it looks like an ancient tombstone worn down and eroded by the elements.


It really portrays the stark contrast of the ride to see the sun highlighting your destination far off in the distance. Is it really any different than seeing the grain elevator in Marquette some 11 kms away?

As I was out early enough, there really was not to many people around, in fact, I did not see another cyclist until I was back in the city. That said, the climb up to Yellow Lake today was wonderful. As I was "in the zone" I did not stop for a photo, but will tell you that not only did it feel great, it looked inspiring. Fresh blacktop makes for a smooth ride. I stayed low in the aero-bars and found my way to the top in no time. Personally, I think this is going to give me some real confidence come the 29th.


Yellow lake was earning it's name. Someone from our team back at training camp in July asked me why they call it Yellow Lake and I told them that at times it goes yellow. Today was one of those days. That said, it was as smooth and reflective as glass and made for a pretty pic.


So yesterday, I had made my way to one of my all time favourite bike shops.... the Bike Barn. When you walk in and want to talk about your needs vis a vis Ironman... they are all over you. They know what works. They know what doesn't. No guesswork, as the live and breathe Ironman each year since its inception. If you have the time I highly recommend you stop in and check them out or at least click on the link on the left (or above) and see what's up.

Anyway, I was in yesterday, as I was having some issues with the Giant and I wanted them dealt with and set up so that my final couple of weeks here before the race will be solid. I was lucky enough to spend some time with Lisa, one of the owners, and we went through a series of scenarios to get the Giant ready for racing. We decided to wait until tomorrow and bring in the Giant for a day at the spa - the works: mani/pedi, facial, lube-oil and filter and some new tires.

She took a look at my rear cassette and my chain and told me it looked like I had about 6,000k on them and they should be changed out. I rarely look at my over all ODO, but as of this morning, it was at 6,138 since September 6th. I told her that I wasn't sure if she was just very good at her job or really lucky. Either way I know that the Giant is in good hands and I am looking forward to seeing it fresh and relaxed. Funny enough, I was finishing off my run this morning and Lisa passed me going the other direction on the bike. Both of us said hi and thought that the other person looked familiar. Silly.... I don't even know a soul here and I run past the only person I have met since arriving in town besides my folks.... cue in the Disney.


Lisa assures me that everything will be okay, and that, like day camp, the Giant will have a chance to play with some of the other Ironbikes. She even called me at home later to discuss tire options. Talk about service. I am telling you several bike stores could learn a thing or two from this set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment