Friday, August 20, 2010

The Pipe


Another beautiful cloudless morning in the sunny Okanagan

Today's run was all about the loop in and around the finish line. In an attempt to get myself familiar with this section of the course, I was going to run the area in and around the finish line. I have nicknamed this route "The Pipe" for some pretty obvious reasons.

I guess you could also call it the #1 Wood or the Soup Ladle....

The route itself is 1.35 miles. I managed to do 5 loops in the hour for a total of 6.75 miles at 8:25 minute miles. I felt really great and there was something about the visualization of crossing that finish line (every 11 minutes or so) that made me feel like I was finally ready to do this thing...... which is good.... all things considered... as I made it under the line by 8 days.


This sign has been around for years and I don't think they have ever repainted it... sort of an ode to its history. I hope they don't touch it up... I like things that show their age.

As you can see the finish line is not far from the Peach.... it is just to the left of this shot. The actual line is just behind me in the shot below.

The end. Fist raised.... armpit hair braided and the biggest grin you ever will see.....

It was a really nice route to run repeats on and the time flew by as the scenery was really inspirational and, as I mentioned before, I found it very easy to imagine all the people and the cheering as you head towards the finishers gate and run into that chute hoping that the photo you intend to pay the big bucks for is actually worth displaying.... I think we have all seen some pretty dumb finishers photos. From my understanding, this whole section of the course is packed with people.

Here's a bit of the scenery in and around "The Pipe."

As you make the turn off of Lakeshore Drive, you head up Main street. This area of the city has a load of beautifully majestic trees whose large long branches hang gracefully over the road and provide the perfect amount of shade for the motorists as they plug their meters.

As you head out on west on Lakeshore you hit the turn-a-round at Powers street and make your way about 3/4 of a mile to the finish line. On the left hand side of the road are the nicest benches. The kind of spot where you just want to sip your morning coffee and scan the horizon for Ogopogo.

I just though this little blue slide was so inviting. Not that it was all that particularly warm this morning, it just looked inviting .... perched atop the crystal clear water patiently waiting for its first adventurer.

1 comment:

  1. I'm green with envy of all the beautiful places you have been posting pics of. It would be a sin not to run, bike or swim there. Almost race day!! 1 more week to go! Very exciting.

    ReplyDelete