Saturday, August 21, 2010

Like a squid at a Calamari festival

In order to have tomorrow off, I combined my workout for today with my workout for tomorrow. Why, you ask? Well I am going to get up at an ungodly hour and drive up to Kelowna to see the Nationals. Besides getting a chance to see the top ranked elites.... I am going to get to check out Winnipeg's own: Chris Grahm, Dave Lipshen and of course Patrick Peacock... my coach. This is the big race of the season and last year Pat came 5th overall in the Oly (1st in age group) and is looking for redemtion... actually. It is a really frustrating race as it is done in several waves.... so you really race the clock.... you may win your heat, but still come in 5th. I shouldn't kid about his, as I would absolutely blow a gasket if I ever made the top 50 let alone the top 5. Anyhoo... that's what I am up to tomorrow morning, so today I have a mini triathlon.

Well at least some people in the town are starting to greet us......... but not Kirsty Lindsay or Marjorie M. Montgomery.... but more on that later.

Thanks!... I don't know about anyone else.... but I need it!

I arrived a the beach this morning in my usual state.... half awake and wondering if this is all some kind of sadistic dream where you slowly lose your toes.

That's it... I'm not Ironman.... I'm Batman!

Swim... stroke.... kick... splash.. sputter... fluttler..... splosh..... gasp... gag...... drown..... weeds on bottom.... hi fishies.....flapping....resurface..... waves... elbows high.... feelin' like a squid in a tank at a clamari festival - you're swimming about, but going nowhere.

Off to the bike....

I am not Batman... I am Magellan - circumnavigating the globe.

The route today would be the start out of Penticton, along East Side of Skaha Lake and then climb the hill up to where the route comes into Penticton. See Above.

Nope... not riding my bike up that face.

This section of the KVR still has the bridge...... loads of fun to jump off.

Here is the beginning of the descent into Penticton.... always in a headwind. You should be hitting an easy 60 kmph, but instead, even in the best aero position you can muster... you are stuck doin' 45 kmph.

There's this great mountain pass carved by dynamite, drills and picks just before you start the final descent into town.

Then you can go through the city.... heck with that...... on a Saturday before Ironman.... everyone and their tri-cycle are doing the same and with the added traffic..... nutso! I prefer to take the bypass and drive along the nice new tarmac.

All in all a nice taper ride with a relaxing 50K on the odometer. Upon arriving back at the house, Lori met me for a hilly run around my folks place.

We almost look like we know what we're doing.

After the run, we headed out to Tickleberry's for ice cream courtesy of Papa.

This place is always packed... on a Saturday... it's nuts. I highly recommend their fudge dipped Skor bar waffle cone.... who cares what you put in it..... that stuff is dynamite.

SO..... when I am here I flip through the local paper - The Penticton Herald - and take in the local scene. As an ex-Pat, I have a soft spot for Ironman and I, like many people am extremely grateful to the city of Penticton, the amazing Ironcrew and the race organisers. This event is huge and having it here has helped to put Penticton on the map.

So you can imagine my interesest was piqued when this article appeared in the Editorial section of the paper.

Penticton Herald - Thursday, Ausust 19, 2010

Cyclists Must Ride Single File

"So here we are again, summer in the Okanagan on Naramata Road. Here you are again road cyclists, riding side-by-side, chatting away in groups of two or more. Bobbing and weaving all over the place far beyond the white dividing line, ripping out into the middle of the road without warning - the road, full of fast-moving vehicles, blind corners, wine tour busses and tourist [sic] that have no clue where they are going.
How did you become so bold? Or is it sheer ignorance? Are you and your cycling more important that anyone else on the road? We see these "Share the Road" signs all over the place - they aren't just for the vehicles you know. I don't want to here your ridiculous excuses of "drafting" or rocks on the road.
I'm sorry but if your tiny bike tires can't handle rocks on the road- you should look into some better tires or ride somewhere else entirely. I don't want to run you over because you were avoiding gravel. Then I have to live with the guilt of your death or disfigurement.
I shouldn't have to drive behind you at 30 km/hour because you cannot grasp the concept of "sharing." This is a main road, lots of people like myself travel this stretch twice a day. It's only going to get busier as Naramata continues to develop. So, if you can't go the 60km/h speed that is set on Naramata Road, stay to the right of the white line.
Cyclists: single file, keep right - no exceptions.
If you don't give me any space, I don't have any space left to give you. Share it and I promise I will too. For those of you who don't, I have lost my patience."

Kirsty Lindsay
Naramata


That was followed the next day by this:

Penticton Herald
Friday, August 20, 2010

Cyclist flips car the bird

Dear Editor:

"Thanks to Kirsty Lindsay for writing what so many of us vehicle drivers feel about cyclists (Herald, Aug. 19).
It's about time they realize that we pay for the priveledge of using our roads and the necessary upkeep and they contribute nothing.
At this time of year particularly, we are innundated with the many cyclists getting ready for the Ironman avent and their rudeness and arrogance is unbelievable.
They even use "the finger." This is very prevalent on the East Road into Okanagan Falls. This is our town, we live here and that should be respected.
Whilst on the subject of Ironman.
Its [sic] OK for the city fathers to pledge [a] large amount of taxpayers money in promotional fees to keep this going, but it is the small tax-payer who eventually picks up the tab, without gaining any profit, unlike the business community.
It's acceptable that the actual event only lasts a day, so we can stay indoors, listen to music and forget the whole thing.
And really what is it all about - a massive ego-trip for the participants."

Marjorie M. Montgomery
Penticton

Gary Coleman says.......



Tri-Guy debates shoppin' in Kelowna tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Well done with correct use of the editorial marker [sic] .... but I digress.

    I hear that every year some idiot gets out on the ironman course and throws tacks on the road.. true?? or not?? Maybe those two are the ringleaders?

    Oh well, they hate cyclists. We hate drivers. I hate when they hover behind me at 30 km per hour too (ahem... more like 35 -- snort!) but it usually isn't because there isn't enough room to pass. It is usually because they are too terrified to try.

    Why can't we just all get along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remind myself and my fellow cyclists... when you are on the road where there is traffic.... do your very best to be predictable. Signal and let the people behind you know what you are doing. Yes vehicles are nuts today with texting and cells and multitaskers, but we can often do ourselves a disservice when we ride like we own the road. That said.... when you ride a lot, you sure get jaded.... I have had so many close calls this season I have lost count.

    ReplyDelete