Thursday, August 19, 2010

Take the plunge and get on with it

I am almost certain that it is now impossible for me to sleep-in any later that 5:00 a.m. This is a good thing, as I am going to have to check-in for numbering and weigh-in at 5:00 a.m. on the 29th. Now that means I am going to have to get up at 3:00 a.m. to get my body moving and get - in the zone - whatever the hell that means. All I know is that I am starting to get very sleepy and I have heard from many people that sleep is a good thing.

What is supposed to happen is that you will eventually (about 6-7 days before the race) start to get loads of energy and all you can do is think about the race, dream about the race and wanting to race..... the classic blunder that a lot of people make now is to get that last big work out in. All the reading I have done says the exact opposite... in fact... they say if you are going to do anything, err on the side of caution and do too little.

It is on that note that we start our day.


I always park by this beautiful copse of trees and meet up with all the other wanna-be's. At any given time in the morning.... well realistically from about 5:44 on... (gotta wait for the sun you know) there are triathletes getting their feet wet at the "Peach." Everyone is in different states of readiness... some arriving.... some contorting all over as they try to get that supersuit just right.... and some standing there staring from the kiddie pool (shore) staring out at the big kids in the waves.... and some returning full of tales from their epic voyage. Now you don't want to be rude.... so..... It usually goes something like this as we swim about just before we're eaten by the waves.......



Hope you loved Rainier Wolfcastle's "up and at them" yesterday.... "my eyes - the goggles they do nothing!" I loved the Fallout Boy episode.

So out to the beach this morning only to find that it was quite windy and the waves were reminiscent of my days as a goofyfoot in training at South Padre Island. But, if coach Pat says you swim today.... you swim. For me... these are the days I really have fun... no fish to chase, as they are WAY smarter than me and have already headed off to their fishy homes for a morning latte and a glance at the Poseidon Times and I also have fun because there can be no real goals for times as it is just me verses the natural roller-coaster of the Okanagan Lake.

Off I go into the waves and the hour or so I was out there went by fairly quickly as I spent most of my time giggling. In my mind, I am always a little intimidated. I show up and take my time, which basically translates to fooling around in the kiddie pool. I look around and see all the big kids in the big pool and leap at the chance to be out there doing what they do. However, once you are out there and the waves are crashing over your head and you are not even sure if your arms are leaving the water and with every breath you take comes with a bit of water and sometimes a lot of water..... Even better, looking down you see the bottom veer left then right, realizing that it is you who is bobbing about in the waves like some rubberized fishing cork and not some tsunamic earthquake activity ripping across the sub aquatic sands of the angry bluish-greenish (not navy or lime) waters of the Okanagan . However, after a while and a little "encouragement" from friends I eventually make the leap off the metaphorical high diving platform, take the plunge and get on with it.....

You might say, it goes something like this....


It really is that easy to make me laugh.......

So here is the view down lakeshore drive at about 7:00 a.m.

Looking West

Looking East.... the finish line is about 300m in front of me.

These two images constitute the out-and-back to start and end the race.

There really is not much on the street that would indicate the sporting phenomenon that is about to take over this little beach town of 40,000. I wanted to take these photos, as plain as they are, to give everyone a reference point for when I up-load the photos from race day - or the day before... it will be a pandemonium of difference.

The only thing to indicate that somthing might be happening is that the Lakeside Hotel has put up its enormous Canada flag.

There's one way to get some free advertising on the numerous TV stations that will broadcast this event.

By the way, as a footnote... if you are interested in following along you can follow live on www.ironman.com. Here is a list of Winnipeg athletes that will be competing.


Cool..... I did not know the bib #'s were up........ go # 970. I guess you number is your I.Q. plus the year you were born.

We ended the afternoon at my favourite private beach far far away from the crowded beaches of Penticton. It is private only that no one really knows about it and it is not clearly marked. If there were 50 of us on the 1000-1500ft of sand I would be amazed. Nice and quiet... just the way I like my Tape-worm.

Lori and Tri-Guy..... two beach bums enjoying the sun, surf and sand.

3 comments:

  1. Hey thanks for the bib numbers. ... I said to MK last night that if he could post on the tribe website the bib numbers that would be helpful. I hope to be following along on that day (after I do my own bike ride).

    My favorite memory of race morning in Calgary, the one that makes me chuckle still to think about it -- also the one I again FORGOT to put in my write up was of getting on the elevator in the hotel with a guy in cargo shorts and a t-shirt at 3:30 in the morning. The unusual thing about this encounter was that he was still wearing tux shoes and he felt the NEED to explain to me that he had no other shoes and MY, aren't you up early, Where are you going....?

    To a race, says I.... I'm just getting up and I'm sure you haven't even been to bed yet.

    Ah, the life of a racing triathlete......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your count down to drinking! hehe
    and I second Kim's comment about the bib numbers, I totally intend on following you guys on race day- it's the closest I can come to being there! Can't wait to see your photos of how the town changes as race day approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I mentioned in the blog, you can watch live on www.ironman.com.... but I am also thinking you will see coverage on TSN or one of its affiliates, but I have not been able to confirm that.

    ReplyDelete