Sunday, August 8, 2010

Only some kind of sadist would put themselves through all this


Here comes the Sun... doot 'n' doo-dooo
Here comes the Sun... doot 'n' doo-dooo
And I say... it's all right....

Zoo wheee mama! She is a hot one today... No rain for Tri-Guy... well as long as you don't count the constant drip of sweat coming from behind my knees. As the humidex soared we reached a balmy 41˚C. That is litterally hot enough to melt the Sun itself. A personal shout out to Aeolus for blessing me with an almost constant side or headwind to off set the enveloping heat. Every now and then I would stop to take a photo and you would instantly be reminded of the steamy sauna that you are riding in. The heat was coming from all directions... the burning ball of gas floating seemingly without purpose, but we all know that it was trying to permanently affix my helmet to my head by turning the plastic to goo. On the bright side.... if that did happen, I would no longer have to worry about falling down and hurting my head... but then again, wearing a hat might be a bit of a challenge. Then there is the radiating heat from the seemingly endless tracks of asphalt. But you know what.... it sure beats thunder, lightning and rain that converges on every inch of your body.

Regardless, today should be celebrated, as after training for eleven months, I just finished my last BIG ride. As I mentioned before, I start my Taper on Monday in Penticton. I have big rides out there, but not 6 hour big rides. It sounds so weird to write that, as the pursuit of Ironman has been the focus of some part of my day.... every day... since September 6th. But, hey.... it's not over yet.... at this point I am still and Ironman hopeful and I will have none of that back patting congratulatory self promotion until that finishers medal is paced upon my neck by the angels at the end of the gates of heaven..... or at least I think it will feel like the gates of heaven after I have been out there slogging away all day. But... as usual.... I digress.

As you can clearly see... Ra was out in full force riding his chariot and whipping the horses into a fervor today.

I have tried several times to capture myself as I negotiate the "tar snakes" and crevasses. This one has the most potential.

Should I cheat and go left early and cut off about 40k of my day? I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!!

Leaning up against the wall all sexy-like some Calvin Klein add from the 90's.... no tightly whities here friends! The Giant wears nothing but a smile in this weather.

Throughout the length of this blog, I have tried my best to capture the majesty of the prairies and at the same time bring to you photographic evidence that artistically adds to the type. One of the hardest things I have found is to share with everyone, stubble jumper and mountain goat alike, just how wide and open it is out here and how odd it is to be given the opportunity to see from a Giant's eye view as far as the curvature of the Earth and mirage will let you. I thought that this photo was the winner and although I have taken some shots that I may be particularly proud of, this photo undeniably gives you the depth that I have been searching for.


In the foreground you can clearly see that I am heading towards Marquette, that, as the sign indicates, is 11 kms ahead of me. Now double click on the image and enlarge. You see that stately white grain elevator seemingly resting in the middle of the highway at the end of the focal plain. That's Marquette. That's what an 11 km stretch of highway looks like. Cool.... no?

Now the funny thing is, how neat this part of my day is. You come out of Rosser (our nadir for this event) and you head North and as you round a farmer's field you can see the grain elevator for The Meadows.... some 10k in the distance. You ride for what seems like and eternity trying to stare it down, you're finally rewarded and cross its all encompassing shadow. Now, you see the sign for Marquette and, through the wavy lines of heat distortion and mirage, you see its majestic elevator rising up from the prairies undoubtedly like Khufu's tomb must seem to the thousands of tourists who cross the sands of the Giza Plateau to visit it each year.

When it is all said and done, and I arrive in Marquette, I have never been so thankful to see a drink machine in all my life. I think I am going to write to the owners of the Co-Op and thank them for their little prairie oasis.

Two Cool ones and Coke... the fuel of champions... or at least Tin-men!

After 6 hours and 5 minutes I have traveled 181.40Kms of our beautiful Province in some absolutely nasty heat. Put me out in the pasture with the cows.... I am my own salt lick.

No rest for the wicked, though. Off the bike into transition and emerge from the loving icy grasp of my air-conditioned home to run through the street and down the trail to the tune of 5 miles. Boy, if I thought it was hot before.... try running. At least on the Giant, I was generating some A/C. Now, progressing at what seems to be the pace of a fourth grader trying to do their 9 times table, I am feeling every degree on the thermometer and every ounce of the humidex.

At the end of the day, as I sat resting in the shade, wrestling with one of life's great philosophical conundrums......

If you had soap.... could you bathe in your own sweat?

Only some kind of sadist would put themselves through all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment