Saturday, August 28, 2010

You go man.... you go.

Yawn...... nyup... nyup..... blink-blink. Time to check the countdown....

Holy Schnikies!......... Id' better get training..... oh.... wait a minute... that's how Scott Taylor woke up this morning.

As you may have surmised from my last post, I did not get home until late and was quite tired when I finished the blog. So instead of getting up at some ungodly hour to swim, I decided that sleep, if I could get it, would be of the utmost importance. Lo and behold, I slept in until 7:05.... now that might be a bit problematic tomorrow as the race starts at 7:00, but today it ROCKED!

The day called for some time in the lake,on the bike and a bit of a run. After a cup or two of coffee and a hot tub, I was out to greet the morning for one last training ride, as the hot tub was the closest I was going to get to the water today.... it just was not worth it. To be more specific, there really in not much training left to do today... I'm kinds thinkin' I'm good. There is certainly no more fitness to be gained. However, it is your one last chance to test out your gear and it is good to warm-up the muscles a bit, as well. As the swim goes, I will have a warm up tomorrow before the mass start.

After a quick shower, it was time to do my finally check and pack up all of my goodies for the day.

Looking relaxed and ready

Each transition gets its own bag and you pack everything, including your shoes and helmet into them.

T1 (T stands for transition) - swim to bike..... (blue bag above) has my helmet, cycling shoes, socks, cycling gloves, arm warmers, HR monitor, shades, small towel, transition mat, a gel for after the swim (as it is a little hard to eat while you swim - try it some time), inflatable Cervélo, some extra body glide, a Cliff bar for the 3 hr mark - a little celebratory treat for making it half-way on the bike, a small bag of electrolyte caps and 3 Advil, Ventolin inhaler, my race belt and number.

T2 - bike to run (red bag above).... Running shoes, new (well... worn once) fresh socks, Jet pack, Timex hat, Tri-shorts, a bag of extra extra body lube, another Ventolin inhaler as I will not be able to get my other, spare toenails, 2 gels and my fuel belt with 2 8oz bottles of Gatorade in case I am in need and there is no aid station in sight.

Once the bags were packed, I was ready to go down to the check-in. It was really fun and very relaxing. I will let the photos speak for the rest, as check-in (like registration) was really fun, and it was interesting to see how everyone else prepares for something like this.

So I walk in and meet Christine.
"Hi, Tri-Guy," she says. "Follow me and I will show you around." Christine has done Ironman Canada twice.

"Put your bike here,"
Nice rack, eh?

I have an executive spot with my name on it..... cooool huh?

The Giant is all bedded down for the night....

and has been told to play well with the other 3000 bikes.

"Then you put your swim to bike stuff here."

I'm hoping that this is not some bizarre game of hide and seek, cause the camouflage thing is not working for me. I'm thinking it is one of those just for laughs gags and they put a big snake in your bag or something... that is if you can find it again.

Where the hell is my bag again?

Same thing goes for your bike to run bag.....'cept it's blue.

So after each event you hit the change tent.... you and 100, or so, of your closest buddies all getting naked together and slappin' on body glide....

Just waiting to be the butt of some joke. (I have now laughed for a good three minutes at that caption.... I am ready to race... as I am just ping-y!)

The big orange pumpkins are all ready to go out.

23 whats? 23 miles..... what the heck did I sign up for?

However, they are not out yet, as the water was seriously choppy.... like 3ft swells.

"Thar she blows," shouted a half-crazed Ahab.

So it is interesting to see how everyone else prepares for this ting called Ironman. Some pimp out their rides....

Afterburners?

Liquid Love.

I'm hoping this does not oink when it passes you... as this guy/gal undoubtedly....... wait for it..... wait for it..... HOGS the road! Haaaa haaaaa haaa heeee heee snort.

Keepin' the flies off.

Girls like to "pretty" up their day and are not to proud to show it.

Does that mean check out everyone's shoes when you go by or compliment them on their outfit? I can't decide.

[I know that comment is going to get me in trouble, but it was just too easy of a shot not to take].

Or how about these?

That's one way to tell if you are in a head-wind. Whirrrrrrrrrrrr.

Then it was neat to see how everyone packed for the event... some optimistically with no obvious tools or spares and others with two extra tires and three tubes..... talk about preparing for the worst.

Let's look at nutrition..... I personally don't tape my stuff to my bike, but it is something I am going to try after tomorrow, as the idea seems solid enough as you tear off the top and open the gel when you remove it. Right now, I bite off the top like a hand grenade and then squeeze in the contents.

Some people get the one flavour they like and stick to it...

Jet Blackberry hell.

I am not a fan of Banana Strawberry, but this athlete is.

See I am more like this guy.... a little bit of everything keeps your palate engaged and involved in the supple texture of each individual gel pack as it glides its way over your palate, teasing your taste-buds along the way with its wonderful subtle hints of Bananas and Strawberries.

I like the mint chocolate (1st one), but you cannot seem to get it in Winnipeg.

Then there is this guy... he plans to eat a gel every 20 minutes... there are 16 strapped to his bike.

So what the hell has he got in the bento box? .... a couple of sandwiches?

(For you non-triathlon types, A bento box is the little nylon bag in front of all his gels... traditionally used for more food..... that's what makes the joke kinda funny in a groaning shake your head kinda way... and if you have had gels before you would still be laughing at this point because of the brilliantly executed description above about them... as they all actually taste like eating a bowl of warm icing sugar.)

Lastly..... you see everything at this kind of event, but my friend here is all over the spirit of innovation and modification..... or maybe he just didn't want to pay the extra fee on the plane to bring his bike to Penticton... whatever the case... You go man.... you go.

I hope those deep dish HED rims get him where he wants to be.

3 comments:

  1. Participant 1013.... Mr. Folding Bike. I'm gonna be checking out his bike time when this is all over.

    Good Work Greg! You are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're profession says "maker of music" I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Cuzzz...

    what a most excellent awesome experience you must of had! I Loved looking at your pic's...so inspiring. You look like a real marathon man. Maybe i will be the next of the family to be crazy and follow in your steps..Me and Chris???

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete