Friday, August 13, 2010

Blue Skies and organic Strawberries

Friday the 13th.... what a beautiful day.

Here let Ella tell you about the weather here in Penticton . Shame about the deluge that was hitting the streets back home. At 6:00 this morning, 50mm of rain fell in 30 minutes. Bummer.



The worst thing that happened to me today was that my nail has now officially separated from my ring toe on my left foot.

Now being a guy, I was apt to just rip it off and come what may. However, my Mom, being a nurse, said to wrap it and put polysporin on it and give it a chance to heal, as it is still quite raw under the nail. Either way... I am looking forward to the day when my toe evicts the damn thing and is done with it. As Murphy's Law states that if it falls off naturally without my help (aka picking and poking at it) it will be in the middle of Ironman and the nail will roll about my sock inflicting god knows how many abrasions and the constant squishing everyone hears as I pass by them, groaning in anguish and mumbling to myself about the frickin' nail, won't be the sound of sweat passing through my toes, it will be....... BLOOOOOOOD.

In an effort to aid in the transition to Tri-Guy the toeless wonder, I followed her instructions to the "T" and I know I am better for it.... after all that's what Mom's are for....no?


I wanted to pamper my feet today for some strange reason... hmmmm why would that be Tri-Guy?..... so I broke out the new socks I picked up at Peach City Runners. I was looking for a sock that would solve my over heating problem on the run and someone suggested I try De-Feet socks. They are basically mesh on top and seem to provide the best wicking so far. It is amazing when you think of all the things you will spend money on for this event and socks are actually up there in importance, but we always seem to find excuses and go with the same old ratty socks we have had for years. Mine all have holes in them and I consider that a way to aid in their wicking ability. I am thinking after 5 years the statute of limitations has run out on the "wicking" ability of any sock. After that maybe the reverse is true and that is why I am having these "squishing" problems.. it's not the shoe... it's the sock. Somehow it is magically sucking moisture out of the air and putting it in between my toes.

..... Now I am all thirsty..... eeeeewwwwww..... salty.... but... eeeeewwwwwww!

SO.... the plan today was to run out to the world renown Tickleberry's.

Over 60 flavours of Ice Cream including my all time favouite... Peanut Butter Binge.

My Mom and I hatched a sceme where she and I would head out together... me on foot and her on her bicycle. There were a few speed bumps in the plan so we had to involve Dad in the plan as we needed an accomplice. When all was in place, ti looked something like this....

Mom was going to leave on her bike 1st and ride from the house to the Marina at Skaha lake. I would take the truck and drive to the Marina and rendez-vous with Mom at the appointed hour. From there she and I would take off together with her acting as the paparazzi and I acting like the reason for the camera. Here's where Dad comes in.... Dad is going to leave the house on his bike (I know he owns one... I just have never seen him ride it... as a matter of fact... I don't know if I have ever seen my Dad ride a bike...hmmmm). Dad would ride to the Marina and pick up the truck and ride down Eastside road to the family reunion at Tickleberry's.

All in all pretty high-falutin', but very doable. So phase one worked brilliantly and Mom snapped some amazing shots. Here are some of the ones I thought you, as my most discerning reader, might enjoy.

Slow and Steady.

Thinking about ice cream

I heard it was pouring in Winnipeg today.... hey....that's where all the clouds must have gone.

Coming in for some Gatorade.

I almost look like I know what I am doing.

Although it was hot, it was a very pleasant run and I was in Ok Falls in no time. As I walked up to the till to pay for my drink, my Dad walked in. There you go... As Hanibal always said...."I love it when a plan comes together."

..... Now for those of you out there that are not up on your 80's TV.... here's a little teaser where that quote may have come from.



Why run to Tickleberry's? you say. Well tickleberry's is at the southern end of OK Falls. For those of you who are not Ironman aficionados, the halfway point for the Marathon is in OK Falls. So we run it now and then to get the feel for the course... see if the aid station markers are up yet... which they are not. For the most part the run course is flat, but there are a few rollers that could catch you if you are not careful. I just put my cap down low and stare at the pavement directly in front of me and it always seems to cut the angle.... running up hills is mostly psychological.

After our pit stop at Tickleberry's we went out for a drive to one of my Mom's favourite organic farms just outside of Oliver. While M+D went hunting for her yellow potatoes, I was looking at "stuff" and snapping shots.

I imagine this fellow worked the land until he could no longer move from this very spot and then was reborn into a lawn ornament.

There is nothing like the taste of organic, hand picked, strawberries.

A pretty little field of Black Eye'd Susans.

See you all tomorrow as I am back in the water chasing all the fishies.

5 comments:

  1. I'm gonna disagree with your Mom. New(er) nurse vs. old(er)?? Perhaps. I say tear the damn thing off. You want it good and healed by race day with no raw spots. The socks were a good plan.

    I enjoyed the rain today except for the fact that it makes my grass grow beyond belief. And I slept through the torrential part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the plan before I went to bed tonight was to gently encourage it to vacate the premises. I imagine it will hurt less than the shaving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, but the silky smoothness is worth it. Your wife may like it, you never know what might come of that......

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lifetime of servitude to the razor? Constant itching as the hair slowly grows back?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No no no... once you've been doing it for a while the itching stops... lol

    ReplyDelete