Friday, August 27, 2010

The Underpants Bike Barn Street Fair

It is not to often that I get a day off... but just before a race, that's exactly what I get to do. So for those of you who would imagine me with my feet up.... which to be quite honest was the plan.... it did not happen.

Our day began with the infamous Underpants Run. Yes, as the pictures will show, you are absolutely right in thinking what you are thinking. It was started in Kona at the Worlds by just three guys and now it is huge. It is a charity event and you pay $10 to get involved. The charity then buys bikes for kids getting involved in our sport... no questions asked kinda thing.

Trying not to make too big of asses of ourselves.

The run is guided by one of the veterans and you take off down Main street and make your way to the beach and then back. The idea is that if we all stick together, there is great safety in numbers...... that also applies to stop signs and red lights.... I am pretty certain that there was not even a permit... after-all, who is going to stop a couple of hundred semi-naked people running down the street.

I'll let the photos speak for themselves.
Tri-Guy and his fearless side-kick Mr. Kicky Pants chase down the mob.

Who actually own a full body zebra striped leotard?

I decided this morning that in light of the fact that the weather is uncharacteristically cold, I was going to need to re-think my water exit stratagem. You see, like at my B race in Osoyoos, I am going to wear my Tribalistic Singlet and my cycling shorts under my wetsuit. I am going to come out of the water, hit the strippers, and then wham, bam, thank you m'am, I'm off on the bike. Now normally, this would not be an issue, as my slightly chilled body would meet up with the balmy +20˚C weather and then the Tribalistic singlet would be more than enough to keep me warm. However, my body is going to come out of the water and meet up with the balmy +9˚C air and freeze. Roughly, the first 70k on the bike follows the Eastern edge of the valley or as it is known down here... the shady side..... so not only will I be wet and cold, there is no chance of sun until about 11:30.

I thought of wearing a jacket with zip off sleeves... and to be honest that is still on the table, but the more sensible solution is to go with pull on arm warmers. So down to the Bike Barn I go... two days before the race. Man, that place was hoppin'. This is definitely their week. There is Triathletes everywhere and massage tables, Hammer Gel trucks, KSwiss Shoes... you name it, there was a mini expo going on right there.

Just a wee bit busy.....

SO.. in I went and picked up what I needed and left as fast as possible to avoid the craziness that is this time. There are so many people here that you have to wait for two changes of the lights before you can get through an intersection.

Once home I had to organize my gear and get The Giant all ready to race. I didn't need to do it, but I always get everything cleaned for a big race. So I was going through all the bike check stuff and I broke the tool bag zipper on my bike.... ........ you guessed it.... back to Bike Barn. I really like my new bag, so it is a good thing. It is also a good thing that it did not happen during the race.... now that would be a bummer...... all my stuff spilling out of my bag into the ditch.... me swerving all over the place, as people yelled out in gracious support as they almost bite it trying to miss my spare tire.

Passing through the arch.....

Then we wandered over to the Ironman expo site, but other than the photo there was really not much to do. The merchandise was okay, but nothing spectacular and I am not one to deck myself out in all that.

After that it was time to head down to the dinner and the pre-race meeting. There was 3000 of us all sitting down to eat at the convention center.


Several people strangled a cat whilst others beat on a drum and I recognized the vague musical tones of Scotland the Brave. Someone sand O' Canada as we all turned to face the largest Canadian flag I have ever seen in my life. WOW! There was speechifying and presentations. Steve King "the voice of Ironman" spoke and pointed out all the dignitaries in the crowd. Officials for the race came up and talked about the course and what to watch out for and the head referee cautioned us not to draft and the like.

Pentiction really goes all out for this thing and Main street was closed down entirely for a street fair. It was really impressive and there were all kinds of performances and kiosks. The family got a hold of some chalk and managed to scribble out some inspirational messages.

Hey.... that's Me!

I think they are praying for my safe return.

Last day tomorrow.... I'm off to bed as I can no longer see straight...... I think it is good to be tired..... so no spell check toe-nite.

No comments:

Post a Comment