Monday, August 2, 2010

Good karma

Tri-Guy... Living strong after an easy hour spin.

Nice and easy recovery ride today.... not a day off per se, but a day to ride for an hour or so without any time or speed goal... just spin the legs and enjoy the ride.

I chose to make my way out to Headingley and cruise through Assiniboine landing and look at the million dollar homes. There are some absolutely wonderful designs and, as a fan of architecture, I am disappointed in some of them as they are so obviously designed without any care for the lot they were developed for. I mean.. let's face it, if Tri-Guy can figure all this out, I am certain that someone who is being paid thousands of dollars should be able to as well. There is one house that truly bugs me. It went on the market at 1.25 million and there is no way you can actually get three cars into the three car garage because the house was built too close to the property line. To add insult to injury, I noticed today, that the fold out down spout comes out across the driveway. Thus, if it is pouring, and your downspout is down, you have to get out of your car in the rain and move it... that is if you are able to make the 90˚ turn into your garage. What a joke... it is one more example that money cannot buy common sense.

The other thing that bugged me today is a few cyclists' attitude. For those of you who know me, I am a really easy going happy kind of guy.... especially when I am on a bike. I bear no one ill will and even under race conditions, I am still courteous and honest.

Yesterday in the rain, I did not see one other cyclist in either direction for 120k. Today... holiday Monday and a balmy 30˚C, I must have passed 20 or more on my lethargic loop. Now being the easy going guy that I am, I believe in Karma.... in other words, I believe that you get what's coming to you and that good things happen to good people. In the world of a cyclist, that means that we, as an unwritten rule, may look intense on our bikes, but we will always ask if you are okay if you have stopped by the side of the road and we wave. That's right.... wave. Not the Forrest Gump howdy, but usually a simple courteous nod or hand sign to acknowledge each other..... ultimately just silently saying .... "hey, I know what you are going through in that headwind, or yep, this weather sucks." Either way, we wave... or at least nod.

I am always stunned when people don't even smile or return the wave. Today I even got sneered at... twice by the same guy wearing his Scott Molina rainbow mirrored 1986 triathlon Oakley's. What's with that? Is it that hard to wave back or nod? Someone pissed in you cornflakes? Okay, maybe so, but it wasn't me or anyone else out here enjoying this great day. Have some class and be a part of the larger cycling amoeba here. Geesh.

It is also truly amazing how people react when you wave to them. For the most part, people wave back and move on knowing that somehow your day was just made better by Tri-Guy. However, every third or fourth person seems shocked that you waved or acknowledged them. I guess that it freaks them out because they think you are saying hi because you know them. I have to also mention that this seems to be a city phenomenon. When you get out to the lake on the back-roads or out towards Marquette, everyone waves... even the trucks and cars wave at me when they drive by.... now how cool is that. Just one more thing that brings us all a little closer together in this big ole world.

Anyway.... It was great to see so many people out enjoying a ride. From die-hards to weekenders, from mountain bikers to road warriors, I wish you all the best.

May the wind forever be at your back and the only glass you have to worry about is what you're pouring into the one in your hand at the end of the ride.

Now how's that for good karma?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tri-guy! Thanks for visiting my blog and thanks for the kind email. I now will be keeping track of your progress too. I'll have to keep a handy measurement converter nearby b/c I'm a dork when it comes to anything other than miles or fahrenheit. I love those last 2 sentences above, "Now how's that for good karma?" I totally understand what you mean about other cyclist or runners who don't acknowledge you. How hard is it to say hi, hello, or wave? Obviously their parent's didn't raise them with very good manners.
    On my long ride last Saturday, I met someone who was doing her last long ride (7 hours)in prep for IMC. She is originally from there and just moved to Tampa, FL last year for a job. She did it last year too. Good luck with your last 3+ weeks of training/tapering.

    ReplyDelete