Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Simple pleasures are the best

Now I must tell you, before we begin, I am a pretty big fan of rites of passage. I like the idea of doing things because of tradition or history. Without getting philosophical, I think it keeps us connected to our past and unites us as a community.

Ironman is not with out its traditions.... one of which is the Ironman Tattoo. The "M-dot," as it is known, is a symbol that connects us all as Iron"people" and lets each of us know at a glance that we share a connection and a similar want to push ourselves to the limit. And, like a secret masonary handshake, it identifies us as a member of that brotherhood of suffering.

Roughly, 20 years ago at university, I had decided to get a tattoo for roughly the same reasons. I thought long and hard about what I might like on my person as a permanent part of my exterior and at the time I was working hard as a music student. I was (and still am) a trumpet player at heart and at the time I was often bugged by my fellow compatriots that I contorted myself on stage when I performed and was often hunched over in musical bliss. In addition, when I was not sifting through the weighty tomes of philosophical ferment, I found solace in the cartoons of Bill Watterson.... specifically - Calvin and Hobbes.... so.... I decided to blend the two.

I took my original drawing from this very frame...

Blow, Calvin.... Blow!

It did not seem like too much of a stretch to remove the balloon and insert a Trumpet. However, I decided to make the tattoo small and over time and lengthy exposure to the elements Calvin began to fade.

Blowin' his horn for the last time

So this morning at 10:30 a.m., Lori and I ventured down to the home of the Ironman Tattoo.

Just as it says - the owner "Rob" began this rite 15 years ago..... and....

Apparently, they tattooed your Mom.

So, in technical tattoo terminology, what we would be doing today, would be a "cover-up." I was going to have the tattoo artist put the "M-Dot" over Calvin. This met my needs quite nicely, as I wanted the tattoo and I did not want to have another one elsewhere on my body, so the logical thing was to superimpose one on the other.

Like a complete unknown,
Like a rolling stone.

Tools of the trade.

As with my last tattoo, I decided I wanted to give it a personal touch. I took the standard "M-Dot" and added a little life to it and made sure that it spoke of the fact that it was Ironman Canada.

Bye Bye my friend.... Once we were warriors.

So this DOESN'T come off with baby oil?

The "M-Dot" takes shape.

Goodbye Calvin... hello Ironman

Derek wishes Tri-Guy Good Luck... or at least that's what his shirt says.

After the initiation, there is only one thing to do.... eat something you have been craving for months, but have not had for a year...... If you are ever in Penticton, I highly recommend Burger 55..... wow! I have never seen or tasted anything like it before.

Play clip below and you will know what was going through my mind as I let the juicy burger sauce flow over my wanting taste buds. Simple pleasures are the best.

3 comments:

  1. Hey I was a trumpet player..! I still have it although I doubt I have many skills anymore.

    Nice ink man. You more than earned it. What a way to celebrate your 40th year on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Nothing says I can take whatever I dish out like the i-dot. I'm a longstanding Calvin fan, but this is way cooler. Nice pics and that sure looks like one tasty burger...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my bad. That would be the M (man?) dot. I was confusing it with it's close cousin, the i-dot. Man-dot or Iron-dot, it all works for me.

    ReplyDelete