Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Hardly a chicane... but fun nevertheless

Well, let me begin by saying that we are all reunited. My family arrived last night; safely delivered to my hands by the very capable people at WestJet. We made our way back to Penticton from Kelowna and the big catastrophe of the night was that no matter where we looked (3 different stores) we could not find a 4 litre jug of chocolate milk. What did they run out of chocolate cows? Hmmm... when Walmart, London Drugs and Extra Foods are out of Chocolate-moo there is definitely a crisis of epic proportions.

After a late evening of visiting, you'd think it would be hard to get up. I set my alarm for 6:00 a.m. but I still woke up at 5:00 a.m. I managed to wait it out for a few minutes, but at 5:30 I was up and attem.....

Ya gotta love The Simpsons.

Today I meandered down through the town and along Lakeshore drive which parallels the beach front of Okanagan lake... it was an easy 50k day and I was in no rush to get it done. As always, there was many other athletes out and doing their thing. Loads of people in the water, cyclists and joggers alike. Now that we are 10 days out, I am sure that the roads and whatnot are only going to get busier and busier as we get closer to the race.

Can you find the bass fishermen in the weeds? I wonder how big the bass really are?




Sorry - I could not resist one last Jaws reference...

Once I got out of the city, the view along Skaha lake was pristine and the water was still and placid and the wind was pretty much non-existant. My route was to go out of the city and along Skaha lake and do the McLean Creek Road climb (which is the first of the three climbs on the Ironman course) and come around through the city of OK Falls and the hook up with East side road and circle back towards Penticton and home.

There is a great winery out this way called Blasted Church.

He does look blasted... now doesn't he.... only 5 more bottles to go Padre.

They always have such punny signs... and you know I love puns.


Just past there is the start of the MacLean Creek Road. The climb is not long at all, but it is really scenic. A the top there is a mini-rodeo and a real cowboy feel as opposed to the winery "Canadian Napa Valley" feel.

Hardly a chicane... but fun nevertheless.

The ride through the road winds its way around the back of neat series of outcroppings and mountain-like formations. As we come down in to OK Falls, there is a wicked descent. Wicked only because it is the hands down worst section of pavement of the whole route. It is pitted so bad that you could easily close you eyes and imagine that you are on the cobbles. I actually has one side of my dual rear seat water bottle carrier break off here from the constant trembling vibration. It is a truly awful section of the course and I do not like it at the best of times and I am certain it will be even more alarming with 100 or so of us in a group all trying to speed down.

Just a quick note of warning from Tri-Guy..... I do not recommend you try that, though. Descending at 60 kmph (or faster) with your eyes closed, even if it does bring you that one step closer to drooling as you pretend you're riding in the Paris-Roubais, may lead to a loss of teeth and/or fingers and/or appendages and/or spleen.

Where's Moufasa? Get it.........Pride Rock....Kind of a Circle of Life kinda thing...... roar...

The Southern end of Skaha Lake was particularly beautiful today and The Giant was at it again... love at first sight.

I personally don't give my blessing for this match as she seems a little...... thick and not that flexible.

This is the kind of photo that you should open when you need to de-stress. Just enlarge and imagine yourself sipping a quiet cup of coffee as the sun comes out to kiss you awake. Ahhhhhhhh.......

Looping back to McLean Creek Road there is a tiny climb that brings you to this summit. The descent is nothing epic, but it is pretty as you swish by the ponderosa pine cones on the side of the road mixed in with the local recycling bins.


Down the hill and out on to the flats of the lake...


.....and finish your day basking in the sun....

.... or in my case running 2.5 miles with your wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment