Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Cruel Shoes


Physio and a little acupuncture... can you think of a better way to start your day than with someone prying into your sore hammy and then sticking needles in your butt, thigh, calf and ankle?

.... nah... me... either.

Lori and I got a chance to hang out as Charles, my physiotherapist, went after my tender hamstring. I have been told that it takes 8 weeks to heal from a minute tear. I'm just about there and all of the hard work I have been doing on recovery is paying off.

We chatted some about my inserts giving my problems on the run portion of the race and in the end I fried my toes. As I was going around the course, the inserts soaked up water as, afterall, they are really just sponges. By the time I was done the race, they weighed as much as my shoes and squished as I ran. I could tell something was wrong, but what was i to do? Stop by the side of the road? I think if I would have stopped, I would have realized how bad m y feet were and it would have made it worse. Instead I just soldiered on in compete ignorance and hoped it was not too bad.

In the end, I had blisters all over my feet and both of my ring toes look like they are going to lose the nail. Thought of posting a pic, but you have already been grossed out by my funky leg. Needless to say, I am concerned and we decided that they have run their course and I can train without them for the time being and look at getting something more permanent in the Fall.

These crazy inserts remind me of a Steve Martin bit from his album - Comedy is not Pretty - from the early 80's..... click play and follow along with the text below.


Anna knew She had to have a new pair of shoes today, and Carlo had helped her try on every pair in the store. Carlo spoke wearily, "Well, that's it. That’s every pair of shoes in the place."
"Oh, you must have one more pair. . . .”
"No, not one more . . . . Well, we have the cruel shoes, but no one would want to try . . .

“Yes, let me see the cruel shoes!"

"No, you don't understand, you see, the cruel shoes are . . .'

"Get them!"

Carlo disappeared into the back room for a moment, and then reappeared carrying an ordinary shoebox. He took off the lid and removed a hideous pair of black and white pumps. But this was not an ordinary pair of black and white pumps; both were left feet, one had a right angle turn with separate compartments that pointed the toes in impossible directions. The other shoe was six inches long and was curved inward like a rocking chair with a vise and razor blades to hold the foot in place.
Carlo spoke hesitantly, ". . . Now you see . . . they' re not fit for humans . . ." "Put them on me."
"But... "Put them on me!"

Carlo knew all arguments were useless. He knelt down before her and forced the feet into the shoes.

The screams were incredible.

Anna crawled over to the mirror and held her bloody feet up where she could see.

"I like them."

She paid Carlo and crawled out of the store into the street.

Later that day, Carlo was overheard saying to a new customer, "Well, that's it. That’s every pair of shoes in the place. Unless, of course, you'd like to try the cruel shoes."


Once all of that was done, Lori and I headed out on a really nice recovery run down the Harte trail, that I have talked about before. It was a bit windy, but we managed to be out for just over 50 minutes.


Don't we just look fabulous? .......should of seen the shot after the run.

It is nice to run with Lori. I have to admit it is a real treat, as usually when we want to run, one of us has to stay at home with the kids....... however, today, the kiddies were off with daycare at St. Vital Park. Blake says it was, "fun." Yep, you guessed it....... he's the king of the adjective!

No comments:

Post a Comment