Saturday, July 31, 2010

fantasizing about a freakin' Slurpee


O.M.G.... Wow o wow was it hot today. I needed a day to train in the heat and I got one. I purposely did not go out early, as I wanted to train in the heat and humidity. Well, when I left at 10:00 we were creeping up towards 26˚C and with the humidity it was 32 and by the time I was done today, it hit 36˚C with the humidity.

With two hours slated for the bike, I headed out to Pigeon Lake to pass the time. It usually takes me about just under and hour to get to the gravel turn at the end of the city proper. Oh how I wished there was actually a beautiful crystal clear sandy bottomed lake there. But, alas, the most moisture I was going to see was the mirage on the smokin' tarmac. Why are they all so far away?

On the way home, as I worked my way closer to 12:00, you could literally feel the heat coming off the asphalt. A passer-by snapped this photo of me coming past Shelmerdine's.


Made you laugh... didn't I.... well... at least a giggle.

So I got home and I was beat.... I mean really beat....I was also a bit demoralised.... 54K should not make me tired.... but... I was, and that was that. I got to the house in a good time (1:42) but Lori said I looked like this before my run.

I'm thinkin' it's time to ditch the polo.

I am doing my long runs on one mile repeats. This is excellent preparation for Ironman, as I have mentioned, as there are aid stations every mile for the 26 miles of the race. As you have seen from earlier posts, I set up a table in the front of the house and visit it every mile.

Well toady was an exercise in resistance. As the heat got to me, I slowed up. I started my 1st mile at 8;15 and by the time I was done 9 miles later, I was posting 9:15. Essentially, for those of you not good with the math, I had added 1 minute to each lap.... and that's a lot.

Round about mile 7 the only thing getting me on was the idea that I could maybe convince Lori to take the kids to 7-Eleven and get me a Slurpee. I really started fantasizing about a freakin' Slurpee. So I asked as I came home on mile 7 and they all thought it was an excellent plan.

I arrived home after mile 9 and looked and felt like this guy....


WOW!!!!!!!! Man did that Slurpee taste good! For those of you stalkin' the Tri-Guy... it was Crush Lime... the best flavor ever invented! I really think it is the most efficient way to cool your core. I have already pre-ordered the same for tomorrow. The difference will be that tomorrow's ride is 5 hours and then I still have to run the 9 miles. If I thought I was tired today...... tomorrow will be exhausting.... on the bright side I get to have a Coke in Marquette.... maybe this time the Giant will get some lovin'.

The winner of the the contest was Lil Kim, who correctly identified the flying Wellenda as the infamous coach Pat. Way to go! Your prize is a seasons supply of recycled chamois butter. This experienced cream is certain to make your season on the bike even that much faster. Harvested from the cycling shorts of the top 100 finishers at this years Ironman Canada, this cream not only protects, but knows the harsh realities of intense training. Congratulations Lil Kim.


Eurostyle, is just code for "experienced." Those Europeans have been into recycling for years.

..... and I bet you all thought it was going to be something useless.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you. I will lather it upon myself liberally. NOT.

    Just finished my own race today 6:07:29. Had an amazing bike. Very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim - CONGRATS on the half-iron. WAY TO GO! That is a VERY respectable time... good for you. Now I ask you the same question you asked me... just what are you going to do with all your free time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do only fun athletic things that involve socializing with good people. Much deserved.

    http://spo-r-tinglife.blogspot.com/2010/08/big-race.html

    there's the write up!

    ReplyDelete