Sunday, July 4, 2010

I wonder what Tenzing Norgay is doing this weekend?

The sun comes up and the eyes open on another day at training camp..... except today, instead of sitting at the beach and watching the parade, we will cycle the entire Ironman course.... all 180k of its beautiful agony. The course runs from Penticton, South through Oliver to Osoyoos then we follow highway 3 through Richter's pass in the Cascades and then into Cawston and Keremeos. From there we wind our way up to Yellow Lake via Olalla and back into Penticton.

Here it is in Google Maps - Bicycle Path - Ironman Canada Bike Route at Bikely.com

I have built this in my mind into some Herculean task that may or may not be achievable.... not that I have any doubts that I will be able to complete the cycle as much as will I be able to complete it on my terms. The two big climbs - Richter and Yellow lake, have been churned over and over in my head to the point that I have most likely distorted the climbs into something that I should not even attempt without oxygen and a couple of sherpas. I wonder what Tenzing Norgay is doing this weekend?


Our crack team of cycling aficionados gathered at the Skaha lake marina and assembled all of our equipment for our eventual assault on the course. It sounds funny, but nutrition is a key element to our success and we all have to make sure that we have all the bits and pieces so the when we are about 100k into the course, you don't suddenly remember that you forgot to bring a spare.

Here's a basic packing list: 2 tubes, patch kit, 2 zip ties (zip ties and duct tape truly could hold the world together if need be), bike levers for changing tires, hex wrench set, $20, bandaids, sunscreen, 8-10 GU (GU Energy) and 2 Clif Bars, 3-4 water bottles of Gatorade to start and you will need to use your $20 to get more at a gas station.


As you leave Penticton, you head south past Vaseaux Lake - it was absolutely pristine this morning. I tried to capture the absolute glass and the mirror it created.

The main group split off and left Paul and I to ride the route proper. And after I fixed my dragging brake, we were off south to see the slide that came across the the highway just before Oliver. It was really quite impressive and I am truly glad that no one was killed. Check out this house by the side of the road.



We all met back together at the Husky station in Osoyoos to gather our wits, donned our cycling talismans and rubbed our Livestrong bracelets in an attempt to conjure up some of Lance's juju as we made our assault on Richter because clearly he won't need it in the Prologue this morning..... by now the temperature was a balmy 28˚C. Need more fluid.

Scott and Mike discuss whether or not to use studded tires, oxygen masks, ice axes and other climbing gear on their assent.

Richter's pass is a serious climb. There are no two words about it. That said, here is where all of your months of training and effort are going to show. If you done the work, you will be fine. You start out at about 1000 ft above sea level and then climb to the summit at about 2400 ft. I took a 2 second break to take this beautiful shot as I rounded the corner and saw the majesty of the Cathedrals.

From here I was quite impressed with myself as I managed to catch and pass a small peloton of people in the rollers after the summit.

Mike, Jim, Paul and I continued on the course proper and the rest of the gang headed back to Penticton. Here's their thoughts at the "out and back" - as section of the route in Cawston designed to add about 20k to the loop by sending the riders back over their tracks.


While you ride such a great distance, it is only natural that you come across some pretty odd things. I managed to pass a huge rattlesnake - squished - in Keremeos and I could not believe this interesting mode of transport.... definitely a labour of love..... looks like fun... no?


After a stop at the Big Bear Fruit stand in Keremeos,


we headed out about 16k and began our last big climb on the course to the summit of Yellow lake. The elevation change is about 1700 ft. to 2600 ft., and it slightly steeper than the Richter pass.

Then technically the route is downhill into Penticton...... NICE!

After our arrival in the city we quickly dropped off the bikes at my folks place and threw our sorry asses into the channel for a quick float before dinner. My mom had put out quite the spread for us and we were all very hungry by the time Scott had worked his magic on the massive loin and divided it into steaks.

Clockwise from bottom right: Jenny, Brian, (Jenny and Brian are both local triathletes who are honorary Tribalistic members) Scott, Jim, Mike and Paul.

My mom had also baked a strawberry cheesecake for my birthday


which turned out to be the perfect end to a brilliant meal and another fantastic day in the Okanagan.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Work Gentlemen! That would be dream biking in those hills.
    See you all soon.

    ReplyDelete