Thursday, July 1, 2010

Nipples can cut glass

Last night ended at 12:30 for me.... that put me up for a whopping 23 hours.... wtf?

SO I thought I would start today with a gratuitous shot of my hacienda. I am the tent master! Check out the diggs.

I have the wicked bed and the primo vista and backyard BBQ.

Our day began with the assembly of bikes and getting ready for our assault on a wicked 2.5 km climb coming out of OK Falls.

One quick drive later and we were in Penticton hanging out with my folks and heading down to the Peach to meet up with Jane and Lanny (ex Tribalistic Members that now reside in Penticton).


(see how we all look cautiously optimistic from l to r - Mike, Scott, Paul, Jim, Jane and moi - Lanny was in the washroom)

Then off to tackle the course. Our route took us out of town along the edge of Skaha Lake to the MacLean Creek road, which has our first of several ascents of the day and a brilliant descent into OK Falls. From there we wound our way along the river and climbed a good 1000ft up what Scott has aptly named "The Wall" for some really obvious reasons.... straight up .... at one point I literally looked down and my Heart Rate monitor said.... Stop now or your head will explode! Regardless, I soldiered on and managed to take third in the race for the Polka-dot jersey.

Form there we worked our way up to the White Lake observatory - The Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory | Observatories | AstroLab


Then off to twin lakes and down highway 97 to green mountain road. This was quite a descent and we all managed to get going quite quickly and I posted a Max speed of 77.o6 KMPH on my bicycle.... I think I still have some bugs in my teeth.

Then a very scenic climb for about 15km complete with Mountain goats. We got into some real shenanigans and Scott decided to prove that really has the cheekiest way to climb through the pain.

Through it all we managed to all arrive in one piece at the Apex mountain resort.



Then into Penticton for a total of 103K. My mom had whipped up some brownies and some Quinoa salad and we devoured both. Then we decided, with our sails full of enthusiasm, that we should float the channel in the rain. It was a scintillating experience involving ducks and nipples that could cut glass. I shivered for 40 minutes strait.... but to be honest I would do it again in a heartbeat.


All in all an excellent day!

Check out the beautiful vistas:

No comments:

Post a Comment