Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Sputter Sputter... Flipper... Flutter


So I was thinking about the Ironman swim today.... contemplating it so to speak.

As I made my way to the famous Peach that you have undoubtedly seen several times in this very blog, I had a chance to really look at the course for the first time as a competitor. I have swam at the Okanagan beach many times when I was working and living here in my 20's and then again with my wife and with our children. And.. as I have mentioned before.... I even have life-guarded the event.

Yep... you guessed it.. that's me in the kayak. (On a side note it is truly amazing that my mom could just produce this photo)

As the bell tolled 8:00 I hesitantly made my way into the water eyeing up the course.

Before the swim, I was talking to some local triathletes and they pointed out that the Ironman buoys are out all year around. So far off in the distance, I was able to see these two orange buoys bobbing innocently in the water. More on that in a second, as it was not my intent to swim the course today.

The plan today was to swim the white markers in the bay from the peach to the SS Sicamous. The route is roughly 900 m each way.


So I entered the water, knowing that the 1800m return distance was not a problem, but it was rather intimidating thinking about all the people who had gone before me and I had to take a moment to convince myself that I belonged here, as I am no Mike Shaffer who swam this course in 43:54 in 1995. That guy must of had a jet pack strapped to his ass.

So, with the jitters somewhat out of the way, I dove in and began a light stroke out to the first marker... I came up to sight and like the noob I am, I took a big lungful of water... Cough Cough ....sputter sputter.... flipper flutter... nope no matter ho many hours I have spent in pools since September, I still have not grown gills. Thank goodness, I could stand and reset my composure.

Off I went and into the lake searching again for the elusive Ogopogo. Trust me, faithful readers, it is worthwhile to look for the lake monster, as the local businesses have all banded together to offer a $1,000,000 reward for proof of the mysterious beastie. Learn more here if you wish to claim the prize - Welcome to Ogopogo Country - Research. Anyhoo.... no luck for me, but what is refreshing is that the water is crystal clear and you can see schools of fish as they lazily make way for my threatening thrashing. Lots of things to look at make the time go by.... mind you in the race... all I am scoping for is toes and catch the draft.

The swim went off with a good feeling of success, I left the water thinking it was really silly to be out in the lake by myself. The lifeguard in me says that may not be the best plan. Next time I think I will stay closer to shore if I am the only athlete out in the H2O.

So, later on in the afternoon, I was out relaxing in my parent's boat - the Overdraft - and enjoying the sun. I think this is what Pat means by active recovery... no?


I mean... I am reading up on 7 musts for a healthy recovery.... doesn't that count for something?

Later after a nice meal, we took the boat over to the orange markers that outline the course...


In this shot you are looking at the farthest buoy and if you click on the photo and enlarge you will see the first turn some 450m in the distance. From this angle the Sicamous and the Peach are on your left.


Now, this is the money shot..... once you get here you make the turn and begin the 1800m return home. Sighting is no longer a problem with the construction of some ugly condos on the waterfront in the distance, but I imagine it is not going to feel like you are getting any closer for a long time. If you click on the photo and enlarge it and then click on the magnifier, you can see the Peach just to the left of the condo high rise on the right.

To put it all in perspective:


What can I say... come August 29th.... bring it on.




No comments:

Post a Comment